Welcome, Guest.


    Welcome! The fire safety burn permit is free and required under Idaho law for any burning outside city limits statewide (excluding campfires) from May 10 to October 20.

    Some cities and other jurisdictions - including local or county fire departments, Idaho DEQ, Tribal Reservations, and others - may have additional or alternate permit systems in place. If that’s true for your burn site and type of burning, then you will be provided instructions on how to apply for a permit from those entities.

    Burning can be limited based on current fire restrictions. This Web site provides information about most current fire restrictions, but check with your local fire department for other restrictions that may be in place at the time you want to burn.

    Also, compliance with air quality regulations is required at the time of burning. You can check air quality conditions online, call the DEQ office in your area before burning, or contact the appropriate Tribe if you plan to burn within Reservation boundaries.

    Latest News

    Website Improvements

    The Idaho Department of Lands Burn Permit website has been upgraded to make it easier to create and manage your burn permits. These improvements include new instructions on how to use the interactive map to find, place or move a burn site location, and new ways to add contact information. The web site also is now compatible with all commonly used web browsers and can print burn permits on a full page.
    Additional website help can be found by clicking the "Need Help? link just below the IDL logo near the top-right of the page.

    Crop Residue Burn Permits

    The DEQ system for administering CRB permits now interfaces with the IDL application for issuing fire safety burn permits so that growers can obtain both permits online at once. Before, growers had to visit separate web sites to obtain each permit. Growers can now log in to the DEQ system and enter all necessary information to obtain the permits at this link: http://deq.idaho.gov/air-quality/burning/crop-residue-burning.aspx .

    Please note that fire safety permits for burns within the Nez Perce, Coeur d’Alene, Shoshone-Bannock, and Duck Valley Reservation Boundaries will continue to be issued through the IDL system. An air quality burn permit may also be required, so contact the appropriate Tribe if you plan to burn within Reservation boundaries. DEQ implements the crop residue burning program for the Kootenai Tribe of Idaho by agreement with the Tribe.

    Site Suggestions

    Please email Burn Permit support with any suggestions for this site.